Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Michael Branson

Michael Branson #C83425

CCI-4B/6A-204 S.H.U.
P.O. Box #1906
Tehachapi, CA 93581

It has been 13 years, 7 months, and 4 days to the day that I sit subjected to the cruelest of conditions of California's Prison System for the alleged crime of receiving stolen property. I happened to had just entered a vehicle that was stopped by law enforcement, not even 100 feet from where I entered. Where the alleged stolen property was recovered, ironically, the driver and owner of the vehicle (who happen to be white), plead guilty to the charge and received misdemeanor treatment. Let me please add, he also suffered prior felonies.

On the other hand, I received and was charged with Felony Conduct, (who just so happens to be Black). My innocence need be asserted, as it is predicated on the evidence and facts of the case, and my presence in the vehicle can be explained. Aside from this, not even the law, [which is precedent] in such a case, which states: "Possession is 9/10th_'s of the law", would sway the prosecution and justice system in it's voracious quest for a guilty verdict, [by and from a jury who was just as eager].

This brings home the validity and prevalent effects of the United States Supreme Court ruling in the 1857 case of Dred Scott v. Sanford, and the subse­quent statement by (then) Chief Justice Roger Taney: "We think they (Africans/ Blacks) are not, and they were not included, and were not intended to be included, under the word "citizen" in the Constitution, and can therefor claim none of the rights and privileges of the United States"... How true this rings in my case.

While all the mechanisms are made up of black and white, it is far from a black and white issue. Even amidst the change of faces of the Presidency, Africans/Blacks have held every position of significance in America to effectuate change (that even they themselves speak of and use to get them where they are), but yet, conditions remain unchanged in terms of equality under the law, and equal application of the laws of the U.S.. So why are the issues made up to be black and white? This is what keeps us divided.

While "knowledge and awareness" are unifying forces that transcends the boundaries of race and culture, allowing those affected by poverty and injustice to stand as one, as "we" are the majority. So I hold to the hope and promise of having my story heard and connecting with those who are serious minded and dedicated to change, (and exposing the inequality of the justice system).

[Brief bio], I am of African descent, 45 yrs. of age, born July 21, 1963 under the astrology sign of the crab. I am 5'10", athletic (workout 6 days a week), and weigh 185 Ibs.. Graduated High School, (attended but did not graduate College Good natured and fun loving. I love music, and in fact, it has been my quest to record professionally. I sing and write lyrics. I have worn and grown dred locks since '93, born in Jackson, MS, and lived in Los Angeles since 5. I have a beautiful daughter, and hope to have and make a family one day... My dream.

In spite of my circumstance, I am honest and trustworthy, open to and will answer all questions.... '
Peace & Blessings,
"Michael"
P.S. Welcome all responses, That courtesy will be returned...